Thursday 4 August 2016

"It's a story that might bore you, but you don't have to listen..." (Rules of Attraction, 2002)

Why blog?  Why this blog?

Good questions - glad you asked.  I wanted to write about films because I like films.  Which is a good start.  I like watching them, I like talking about them, I like pub quiz facts about them.  My wise husband, in a moment of genius, bought me a Cineworld card last Christmas and that seems to have triggered something a little more active in my head - I now find myself thinking about films, rather than just looking at them.  And then, for reasons I can't remember, I started making comments about the films I had seen on Facebook, and this provoked a response.  People liked the comments.  They talked more about the films.  I talked more about the films.  And, as has already been mentioned, I like talking about films...
I instantly became distracted by trying to identify the films on this picture...


So I watched more films, and the Facebook comments got longer.  But, as we all know, a long Facebook comment is frowned upon and rarely read.  I mused about the idea of a blog, and mused about it out loud and in front of people (rookie mistake) who were enthusiastic in their response, but left me with that unfortunate issue of "now you've got to actually do something about it".


So I am.  My ponderings have brought me to the following conclusions:


1.  If you're going to bother writing something, you should have something to say.  I usually have something to say about film.  Tick.


2.  I don't like the idea of wandering about this blog by myself, talking to the walls.  So I invited a bunch of my lady friends to come and write with me.  When I talk to these women, we listen to each others ideas, examine them, explore them, pick them apart and argue about them.  Sometimes we do this with tea (essential) and cake (preferable), but time and geography does not always permit.  Blogs do not respect the limitations of time and geography.  So...company is good.


Tea and cake - universally appreciated.  Goes well with films.


3.  The title "Girls on Film" is not intended to be a feminist missive, or a political response to society, or anything more than the fact that I really like puns.


4.  I have no grand mission statement for this blog.  I may get bored or distracted by some other aspect of life.  My hope is that a little community of people will virtually throw some ideas into this space and see what sticks.  That should promote debate and discussion, and help us work out more about ourselves, what we like, and the world in which we live.  And that's good.


5.  I still like films. 


Let's see where this takes us.


Are we all sitting comfortably?


Then we'll begin...







1 comment:

  1. This is excellent.

    Although, as a man, I must ask: why aren't there any websites, anywhere, where men can have a say? Must we be oppressed and denied a voice forever?

    ReplyDelete