Monday 15 August 2016

Ghostbusters


I haven't seen the 1984 version for many years but remember it being a joy.

I'd say this reboot is a success but not a huge one. I was in a fairly empty cinema for an early showing but the people who were there were laughing and there was plenty of female laughter. I thought there were too many nods to the old movie and maybe it could have been more original in some ways but glad that Spud made an appearance. As with the latest Star Trek movie I was frustrated by having to view all those fx in 2D  and have considered rewatching both movies in 3D. Well, the 2D viewings are freebies and I have one more freebie to use, thanks Nectar points.

The most entertaining people in the movie were Chris Hemsworth playing a comic idiot and Kate McKinnon as the most eccentric and weird of the Ghostbusters. Melissa McCarthy was solid in the lead and  Kristen Wiig a little dull in support. I feel somewhat spoilt for really funny females with Big Bang Theories' brilliant Mayim Bialik, Christine Baranski and Laurie Metcalf and the also very funny Melissa Rauch and Kaley Cuoco. Hey, maybe Ferrari, Prady, and Lorre should have written this movie and cast them all in it.

I'm pretty sure it hasn't made any difference, except to the prejudiced, whether they used men or women for the parts of the new Ghostbusters. The movie is probably a bit too nostalgic while feeling the need to explain e.g. where they got the car and the suits, and I feel that's not necessary in such a comic book universe unless the explanations were funnier. Glad to see Sigourney Weaver if very briefly and Bill Murray playing a professional sceptic although I failed to recognise some of the other original actors in their cameos. Do wait until the end of the credits as there is a little bit more to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment