Friday 9 June 2017

Belatedly, Guardians of the Galaxy 2

I wrote this short review of GoG2 then didn't get round to putting it here!
Contains Yondu crest spoiler
Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Image result for guardians of the galaxy 2 ugly alien pirates

The first Guardians of the Galaxy movie didn’t excite me that much. I liked Rocket Raccoon, Gamora and Groot but felt Nebula had very little to do and the story was unmemorable.  I went with lowish expectations of GoG2, as normally sequels are less good than the original.  The idea of baby Groot was quite appealing but I hadn’t cared for Star Lord. To me he was just a conceited dick with one redeeming feature, his taste in retro music. But I was due for a pleasant surprise.

I've probably said this before. Action sequences are always a problem for me. If they go on for more than a short time I am usually thinking about something else or asleep. The choreography loses me and I don’t know what the hell is going on.

But with this movie something strange happened. I watched every second and was always engaged. It was easy to see what was happening and I was bothered about each character. The characterisation was way above any other Marvel movie I have seen. Nebula had an actual story with Gamora that got some screen time. Starlord was enough less of a dick for me to care about his story with Ego (though that name was really something of a spoiler, I mean he was hardly going to be a good guy was he?) Starlord’s abductor/foster father Yondu was great, very nice performance by Michael Rooker and the character was beautifully rehabilitated. 

Image result for guardians of the galaxy 2 michael rooker

Anything I didn’t like? The heavily prosthetised ravager looked pretty terrible.

Image result for gef the ravager 

It must be so hard to make your alien tough guy not resemble one that has been done before.

Mantis
Image result for mantis guardians of the galaxy 2

Was she there for any reason other than decoration? She was so retro as a character, only there to serve a man. She bored me. It seems the character's creator was not impressed either

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/17/15624888/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-mantis-wrong

By the way she looks like Diana Rigg in The Avengers with an alien makeover.

Also did not like the nonsense where Yondu’s crest was plainly visible being burnt (oh, what a waste, I said, someone else could have used it) and then reappeared in one of the during-and-post-credit inserts. Do be careful not to leave the cinema before everything has rolled past by the way, as you will miss a lot, far more than the usual disposable tease. I recommend this one wholeheartedly, nine out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment