Tuesday 18 October 2016

The Girl on the Train

Warning: contains spoilers for The Girl On The Train
 Seems odd to write about this so soon after The Girl with All the Gifts, a very different film with a very similar title.  Be very careful about the ticket you ask for at the cinema, folks.  But it also falls into the category of “films based on books I have read”, so it’s also odd to write about this so soon after watching Room.  Maybe next I will read The Girl with All the Gifts, and this will come full circle in some way…
The Girl on the Train is based on the 2015 novel by Paula Hawkins and was one of best-selling books of last year.  In a nutshell, it’s the story of Rachel (Emily Blunt), an alcoholic divorced woman who becomes involved in a missing persons investigation after noticing and fantasising about a couple that she sees every day from the train window.  She’s sure she knows something about the missing person, but is piecing together fragments of memories from her drink-addled mind.
Disclaimer: I’m not sure what I think of this film, and my hesitation is partially due to my viewing experience (in which a drunk man repeatedly disrupted the film because he had lost the beer he had brought with him and was most insistent that he should find it again*).  So I’m not as convinced by my own opinion on this, but my overall feeling was that I didn’t particularly care for the film.  Part of the rationale for that is that the film employs a couple of tropes that just really bug me.  I don’t know if they’re universal issues, or just specific to me, and wouldn’t mind hearing what you – dear reader – think about these.
Issue 1:  Inner Monologues. 
When a book has been made into a film, it is difficult to take a character’s inner monologue and make it evident on screen.  The quickest and most used method of doing this is for there to be a series of shots of the main character doing various innocuous things while a voiceover basically reads out the appropriate “character exposition” chunks of the book.  And then we get on with the action.  The problem with this, for me, is that it’s usually the first thing that happens on screen and I’m not quite settled into the film yet.  The closest analogy I can make to explain is introducing a character is a bit like a conversation – there’s a bit of inconsequential small talk in which you can learn a little about the other person – and after rapport has been established, you can then move into more significant chat.  If someone was just to walk up to you and start telling you the contents of their heads (“hello – I’m an alcoholic and I always take this train and I like the look of this couple I see when I look out the window”), you would not engage much further with that person, short of finding out if there was someone with them who would look after them, before beating a hasty retreat.  An exception to this is children (“hello – I like dinosaurs and I like the flying ones best and my friend is Jack and he has a fine hat but he stole my crayons today and I have a cat!”).  For some reason, it’s fine when children do this, although the adult response is usually the same...
Actually, I might watch that film...
The Girl on the Train is guilty of this when introducing not one, but three of the main characters.  All of whom appear on screen and spell out their motivations.  I really dislike this – I’m watching a film, so I expect to see this play out.  If a film can’t convey this to me in any other way than reading me the book, should it be made into a film?  Arguably not.
Maybe this woman could just tell me the film.  That's another option
Issue 2:  Info-dumps.
This seems to be something that’s becoming more and more prevalent, or maybe I’m just becoming more aware of it.  It’s particularly widespread in films that involve crime, politics or superheroes.  Main characters will spell everything out, once, usually 5 minutes into the film, leaving a very confused me halfway into the film thinking “wait – which side is he on?  Who is that?  What was the very important plot point I had to remember?”
I would argue that the average viewer needs a Donna Moss character – one who mainly functions to ask “what did you say half an hour ago?  Why’s that important?  What happens if we blow this up exactly?”  Or for the story to be told better – example 1: The Girl With All The Gifts where significant plot points are introduced gradually, as the audience gets to grips with each in turn.  Example 2:  The Magnificent Seven (2016): will they explain exactly why everything’s going on?  No.  It’s not important and you don’t need to know.
Needless to say, The Girl on the Train takes a few info dumps and I disapprove.
Emily Blunt is a good enough actress that you’ll follow this character and be interested, but her character is a very clean functioning alcoholic.  You can tell when she’s drunk because she has cracked lips and slightly messy hair.  Sobriety is indicated by lipstick and a hairbrush.
Oh no, she's such a terrible mess(!).  How has she let herself get in this state?!
 
Flashbacks are used frequently and confusingly so that it’s difficult to tell what’s actually going on, and when and how.  Arguably, this could be tremendously symbolic of the incomprehensible lifestyle of the main character, except that the same techniques are used for the other (not alcoholic) characters, so this is not a deliberate motif.  Which is a shame.
The final third suddenly lurches into focus, and things become tense, taut and interesting, but after sitting through nearly two hours of meandering, it’s too little too late.
It’s not a dreadful film, and certainly not the worst I’ve seen (not even the worst I’ve seen this year), but it’s disappointing because it could have been better.  It could have been thrilling.  I was not thrilled.  I was more interested in the shenanigans of the drunk man in the cinema on his quest for beer*, and that’s not a great review for any film.
 
*  My husband insists I make it clear at this point that I am not referring to him

No comments:

Post a Comment