Tuesday 20 September 2016

Kill Bill Volume 1






I didn’t expect to enjoy this movie much but it was surprisingly entertaining. Despite the lack of both plot and characters and the absence of good dialogue the visual style, pacing and athleticism kept me watching. Usually endless fighting sends me to sleep but the vein of utter ridiculousness here piqued my interest – just what were they going to do next?  The absurd fountains of blood that somehow sprayed forth from bodies took me back to the Monty Python ‘Salad Days’ sketch where the gore effects of Peckinpah were satirised.  Then the fake blood only dribbled and squirted out feebly by comparison. (If you haven’t seen the sketch think of the arm severing of the Black Knight  in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.) Technical note: this crazy looking effect is said to have been created originally by using fire extinguishers what maniac thought that up?

There are many points and questions of unreality throughout. For example I have to ask why, O-Ren, criminal mastermind of Tokyo, do you fight your nemesis in an impossibly hobbling, if immaculate and glamorous, kimono?
And what about the likelihood that only the lower half of the Bride’s body has been affected by her long stay in bed and her arms etc work just fine.  And the fact that she is in the dead guy’s car practising her walking all that time when his body is lying about in the hospital ready to be discovered. I don’t think Tarantino cared at all, as so many subsequent film makers do not care for any semblance of reality. As long as the audience is engaged by the imagery, who cares?

Part of this movie is an animated sequence, disposable in story terms, depicting the back story of O-Ren. In a way this almost seems more realistic than the live action scenes.  To add to the mix there are some black and white scenes that for me detracted from the visual experience.

I’ve been slow to write this review because I felt I needed to do some research to try to explain the strange salad before me. I know now where Tarantino was getting his ideas. I even watched a bit of Death Rides a Horse on Youtube.

What Tarantino does is a mix of parody and homage and lacks original creativity in so many ways while being brilliant in one or two ways. But I liked the fact that Kill Bill has so much front. I like that Tarantino tried something so different from Pulp Fiction though  he limits himself in the only other Tarantino movie I have seen, Django Unchained, to a further homage to the spaghetti western and a simple (if different) revenge story. Seems he decided writing a good script was too much trouble and people only really wanted to see not hear.

I’m just going to drop in that I think the lost-baby-sparking-female-revenge idea has been reused in a small way by the Preacher TV show which I don’t think could exist without Tarantino and spaghetti westerns.
Naturally I will be watching Kill Bill part 2 – it didn’t seem to be downloadable from Netflix last time I looked although they had it up a short while ago.




Image result for kill bill vol 1 zoe bell
Zoe Bell who actually does all the cool fighting stuff. She's been in her own movie but it looks absolute shite.




'Oblivion' Premieres in Hollywood 5

She does a  good mean face and looks very scary to me even when she isn't trying Don't cross her
Image result for kill bill vol 1 zoe bell
Lucy Liu plays O-Ren who just isn't practical, but looks immaculate as she dies
Image result for kill bill vol 1 zoe bell
Uma Thurman poses about a lot and does some B movie acting as required. Job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment